Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Well the quail are getting much bigger and the chickens are too. Unfortunately, their smell inside the house is also unpleasant. I have them on thick pine bedding and will have to add more shavings before I go to bed tonight. They are just over a week old and I can tell that my patience will be running thin for their scent. In all the forums like backyardchickens.com or backyardquail, little is said about the smell. I have done a find job with feeders and waterers that maintain cleanliness, which has been a sought after goal of mine. Despite this, the smell lingers. Ideally chicks should be raised on wire so that their droppings fall through the wire, which can be cleaned on a daily basis. My brooders, which are the containers that chicks are kept in to maintain temperatures, do not allow for daily cleaning without a lot of time. So the reason I bring this all up... So perhaps another will learn from these trials. I assume that eventually I will have these little kinks worked out and my advice will turn from 2 cents to gold. So, there in lies the ultimate goal... to work out the problems so that I may contribute towards the societal movement towards sustainability, or more so the increased sustainability of the common-person. Maybe the average individual is puzzled about how raising quail or chickens contributes to sustainability, yet I must illiterate that all steps that are movements towards reclaiming our food sovereignty are leaps into the right direction. This past weekend I prepared tomatoes from the garden to can for the first time. They are not sitting in quart jars cooling down in the pressure canner. Even though I've had the canner and the ideas for this endeavor for some time, I've finally taken the steps to putting things good use. Even though I only filled four quart jars, I am relatively proud that I have accomplished something. More pictures and videos to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment